Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, 26 December 2012

A Little Update

I'm aware that it has been a few weeks since I last posted on my blog so I thought that while I have a few spare minutes I would update those who follow my blog on what has been happening recently. . Alfie hadn't been his usual happy self, he was usually a happy energetic baby boy always smiling and giggling away but he started to turn really lethargic, refused to feed and would cry and scresm ad sokn as me or his daddy picked him up, we phoned NHS 24 because obviously we were both worried and the doctor on the phoned advised us to bring him in so we bundled him up and put him in tbe carseat and drove to the out of hours closest to where we lived. The doctor took Alfie's temperature wjich was really high listened ro his heart and told us both he was showing symptoms ofhaving a cold, mothers instinct kicked in though, he's had a few colds and had never been as poorly as that bit no the doctor was adiment and gave Alfie some medicine, me and Daniel took him home and made him nice and cosey in his moses basket we both decided we would take him for a second opinion in the morning so I stayed up most of the night monitoring him to see if there were anymore changes to him but Alfie slept a whole 8 hours without waking ehich ket me tell you he NEVER does. I checked Alfie's temperature at 10am and he was even hotter than he already had been so I went to take his sleepsuit off but as soon as I did he started shivering and breaking into a cold sweat and started crying as if he was in pain, I panicked and switched the light on and Alfie had what looked like a rash all over his tummy and arms and started crying that much he was being sick and was almist choking on it. I literally ran to the house phone downstairs and called 999. Whilst the ambulance was on it's way I was advised to strip Alfie so he just had his nappy in but to bundle him up in a blanket that wasn't too thick. Alfie then started to go downhill very quickly, he stopped crying and started to go floppy when I picked him up to hold him close to me, the ambulance crew arrived and yeah I was hysterical crying my eyes out, one of the paramedics took him from me and took him straight into the back of the ambulance and the other male parameduc took my hand saying" come in sweetheart we need to get your wee man to the hohspital asap". Got to the hospital 15 minutes later and Alfie was taken through to accident and emergency and wasAlfie seen to straight away to be examined. Whilst that was happening I rung the school whete Daniel teaches and as soon as I heard Dan's voice I burst into tears again, Daniel arrived about 20 minutes later. We both had to sit and wait whilst staff were seeibg to our little boy, avout half an hour later a consultant finally came out the room to see us and told us Alfie had caught meningitis. Alfie is still on oxygen and still has UV drips in his veins, on the 23rd of December he was taken for a scan which is showing that there is still swelling around his brain so he is back on steroids. Our first Christmas as a proper family wasn't what I was expecting or had planned and the fact oir little prince is still in hospital very poorly is heartbreaking for me and Daniel so I hope you can all understand this is a difficult time for our family

2 comments:

  1. Oh God i am so glad you listened to your mummy instinct!!! I'll be praying for you guys and wee Alfie!! Fingers crossed for a fast recovery with the steroids doing their job fast!! Alfie's a little fighter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww no nicki :( Just goes to show mothers instict is sometimes best. Hope all is well... hugs from me and Rio xx

    ReplyDelete